The mindyourmind team went to Halifax, NS to work with local youth through the Canada Service Corps initiative. The goal of the project was to co-create a mental health resource specific to the needs of the Halifax community, as identified by the youth. Once the resource is complete they will promote it in their community to ensure it reaches the appropriate audience.
mindyourmind worked with Heartwood Centre for Youth Community Development and Laing House to recruit youth who are passionate about mental health and being involved in their community. We had a two and a half day Design Studio followed by webinars. Over the course of the Design Studio and the subsequent webinars we were able to identify the top issues facing youth in Halifax. Following this the group decided they wanted to create a video series and an interactive mental health workbook. They are also developing a promotional strategy to disseminate the resources across the city.
We recognize that mental health programs are not “one size fits all”. We wanted to provide youth with the opportunity to create a mental health resource that is specifically suited to the Halifax area. When resources are co-created and targeted they are more effective. Additionally this process provided the youth valuable skills and transferable experience they can utilize in the future.
Keep track of your goals and inspirations, or take a break with a colouring page
We posed the following questions to youth participants on the last day of the Design Studio:
- Your hope/goal for this project
- How do you eat your Kraft Dinner?
- To provide a resource for people in need
- With a spoon and thicc (with 2 c’s)
- To help educate others about mental health.
- With a fork and pepper sprinkled on it.
- to encourage conversations surrounding mental illness and wellness in communities
- out of the pot
- to create a mental health resource
- from the pot with either ketchup or salt
- to promote self care and education around mental health and learn new skills and to make new connections
- in the garbage or ketchup soup, but ill only eat a spoon or two and then into the garbage
- To increase awareness and education for mental health
- I don't